Chicano Poet

Monday, November 20, 2006


Wake Me Up Before You Go

Don’t let me get away with it,
whether I’m nervous or Navaho,
hiding behind cedars or mesquites,

don’t let me take ice cubes from the moon,
attack a wagon train of thoughts,
sneak up on unsuspecting saps,

love me like you have for a thousand years,
when I crow like a Cro-Magnon,
whistle like fallen wind,

don’t let me get away with it anymore,
put your foot down, handcuff the house I built,
scream at the top of your lungs,

wake me up before you go,
though I’m only dreaming dreams of you,
dreams that spiral out of control

and soon depart the milky way,
don’t let the calendars of smoke
burden our voyages of love,

wake me up before you go,
wake me up if I’m asleep,
wake me up if I’m awake.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, to love like a poet!
Becky

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger RC said...

Thanks,Becky,don't be shy,you know what it's like. :)

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger RC said...

Hey,Becky,that's the poet Barbara Guest in the graphic to this poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home