Chicano Poet

Monday, June 23, 2008

Lord of the Wind

a wood carving by my brother Val


Sandbagging

Henry and Mr. Bones fill sandbags
to keep out the Mississippi.

Men with big shoulders,
girls with golden thighs,

teenagers and old alike
fight the encroaching waters.

But it’s not nice to fool Mother Nature.
These flood plains belong to her,

not to men who refuse
to learn the lessons taught.

Henry and Mr. Bones don’t know any better,
but you, my friend, snap out of it,

screams Cher in my favorite scene
from that movie whose title I can’t recall.

3 Comments:

At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that scene from Moonstruck...

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger RC said...

Me,too.It's a classic.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and what a beautiful piece, your brother Val's wood sculpture.
Cool name. Fits the way it flows.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home