Chicano Poet

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Here I Am In My Birthday Suit At Fifty-Seven,
It Ain’t A Pretty Sight (Read: Site)


Today is my birthday,
I turn fifty-seven,
still hanging

in there.
Lost some good friends.
When I write

this or that
I think
"Hey, Cecilio, would

appreciate these chicano colors."
Or I say to myself,
"Hey, Jim,

would like the
shaman feelings
in this poem."

Or I say
"The Chicano Kid, Max,
must be writing up a storm."

So, I keep on
writing my chicano poems
though

maybe no one
is listening,
maybe chicano poetry

does not reach
young chicanos
anymore,

and if it reaches them
maybe they
don’t care.

But, after
fifty-seven years
what else can I do?

So, here it is,
another chicano poem,
brown like me,

willing to
stand alone
if need be,

because standing
alone is part
of being chicano,

or at least
it used
to be.

Today is my birthday,
I turn fifty-seven---
horseshit, pass by!

4 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Billy Jones said...

"what else can I do?"

What else would you do? After all, is there an art closer to the heart than poetry? I don't think so.

Happy birthday, brother poet!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger RC said...

Thanks,Billy.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger chris said...

Hey, Reyes--Happy Birthday! What a great day for it, too: Epiphany. That's very cool. Your birthday poem is a fine one.

Best Wishes,
Chris Murray

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger RC said...

Thanks,Chris,and welcome back.Missed your posting,but from reading texfiles it sounds like you had a good time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home