Chicano Poet

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Phenomenology Of Other

“There was a Mexican flag flowing over the American town.”
from
Tambien
by Sheryl Luna


Being inside of someone who hates you
can be so enlightening,

looking out from my blue eyes
and blonde hair I machete

the Mexican men who shop at Walmart in groups
and I wonder why Immigration

can’t figure it out.
I shop at Fiesta Super Market,

whole families monkey-chatter in Spanish
and look at me as if I’m out of place

and you can see they despise me
for being in their world.

I go home to Westlake Hills, set my security alarm,
goggle “ Who the fuck

are these brown people who hate me?”
I make up my mind to hate them back.

4 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this poem, title and all, including the addition of the Luna quote. Simply put, you write good!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger RC said...

Thanks,anisa.I have really been getting into Sheryl's poetry,amazing how much she forces(in a good way of course) such images to come out.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From looking at her blog, she's been writing a lot this Summer. One night I was reading her stuff, but my daughter (20 months old) needed my help getting to sleep.
Her post was so long I printed it out and read it in bed--
Far-out stream-of-conscience stuff with a lot of great imagery.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger RC said...

I print out her poems,too.I take them with me to work,to the park,or out on weekends(my wife always drives),and I read as we cruise along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home