Chicano Poet

Friday, December 18, 2009

G-L-O-R-I-A

she came back from Iraq
with no legs

blown off by a roadside bomb
her best friend Celestino

lying in pieces
in and around the Humvee

Gloria had great thighs
in those volleyball shorts back in high school

her buttocks undulating so beautifully
as she jumped to block at the net

today in that same high school gym she smiles
sitting in her wheelchair in Army fatigues

while from a corner of her sweet mouth
a little sadness escapes onto the shiny floor

6 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

Very powerful. We tend to forget the world is changing and it's not just the boys that go off to war any more. Is the title a reference to the Patti Smith song?

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous matt at shadow of iris said...

Yes, if only it had been *for* something. That's the sad part, isn't it? :(

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger RC said...

Jim,the title refers to a Them song from the Sixties,Van Morrison was the singer,sort of an allusion to the Viet Nam War and Iraq.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger RC said...

Thanks,shadow.Indeed that is the sad part.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger JuliaKoponick said...

Thanks for reminding me to continue reaching out, even on really hard days. I am just a woman trying to be the best mom and wife I can be, but I need to make sure that my eyes are open, and I am seeing what it going on in the world around me.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger RC said...

Thank you,Julia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home