Chicano Poet

Friday, August 31, 2007


Nortiado

The bus drops me off in the middle of nowhere.
I wait at the crossroads.
The smell of the cornstalks turns yellow.

Suddenly a cropduster appears,
and dives at me in anger,
the pilot’s white scarf waving August.

I throw myself on the road
as the plane almost lands on my back.
I run into the fields for cover.

Then I see a gasoline tanker
coming up the road.
I flag it down, and inexplicably

the cropduster slams into it.
All this is happening
as if it were a movie.

The cops arrive, the ambulance approaches.
My tie flaps in the wind.
God, grant me the strength to carry on.

2 Comments:

At 2:33 AM, Blogger Stu said...

That scene is one of a kind, isn't it? I love how you've milked humour and irony from it, and clearly, due to the highly charged & excessive nature of the scene, there's still much milk/venom left in the tank.

And I like this whole idea of poem as 'remake' (which may not be your idea at all, but I'm just putting it out there).

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger RC said...

North by Northwest is one of my favorite movies.It's a lyrical poem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home