Chicano Poet

Tuesday, July 29, 2008


The Old Couple

The old couple in the city diner
must have been young, passionate lovers once.

He helps her with her walker,
he himself stoops over.

I hold the door open for them.
Time is not circular.

I hope you Mayan fans
will understand,

I am merely stating the obvious.
They just did not have any experience

with old age, they could not know otherwise.
The old couple struggles into the taxi,

it might as well be a yellow Mt. Everest
they are trying to conquer.

The monster from Ski Free
sweeps them off the slopes.

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Blogger Jim Murdoch said...

My wife says that time is circular - little kids use walkers.

Personally I like the Mt. Everest stanza myself.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger RC said...

Maybe your wife is right.And on that part of the circle we have to take care of our parents as if they were children again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home